Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Earthquake in Sumatra

An hour ago, I felt dizzy while washing dishes. Looked over at ceiling lamp in kitchen and saw it move very slightly. Wasn't sure if it was just my imagination, but the dizziness didn't go away. Hubby was fixing bathroom door and I checked with him. He felt it too. So quickly we got princess and hurried downstairs. I know, we panicked and should never take the lift, but we did unfortunately. We'll not do it next time.

Some neighbours had gone down but nobody had any idea what had happened, but as it is not the first time this has happened in Singapore, I was sure it was an earthquake in Indonesia, and a very strong one at that. Luckily, my mobile was within reach and I grabbed it and rushed down. Thankfully because of that we were able to get some info from hubby's friend. An earthquake had hit Sumatra at 7.10pm, which was the time we felt it, measuring 7.9 on the Richter scale. And island-wide, people were evacuating buildings and homes.

We stayed down for a half hour at least. We're now home as it felt safe to return. Let's pray it doesn't happen again tonight. There is a tsunami warning for countries around the Indian Ocean. Pray it doesn't happen.

I still feel dizzy. I don't know if it's psychological, but the lamps are no longer swaying. I guess it's just in the mind.

Channel News Asia for news.

No comments: