Friday, April 23, 2010

Ribbit & Rabbit

This is the most elaborate bento I have ever done. I'm ashamed to say I spent a couple of hours on it *head hung low*. From researching frogs, to digging out my boxes of cutters, to actually putting it all together, has left me very exhausted. I wonder how bento mums do it from day to day. Salutations to them. This all started when I came upon Bentolicious' egg sheet tutorial. I've been wanting to make them for the longest time, but by far, hers is the most successful recipe for me. Thank you so much. I made two colours, namely orange and green and couldn't figure out what to do with them haha. I was browsing some blogs when I came across a frog. That is easy enough! So with a theme, I went hunting for my cutters and found them all.

When the princess saw her lunch, she was so surprised and thrilled at the beautiful bento, and exclaimed, 'This is the best bento I've ever had', actually she said 'eaten' but she hadn't yet started on it. Lol.

In the tomato bowl which I cut using the egg cutter, you can't see the design as it was buried among the rice, I placed rockmelon and nata de coco. The flowers and butterfly are made with egg sheets and kamaboko. Froggies' eyes and cheeks are made with crabstick. Unfortunately, though, the colour of the butterfly and flower matched exactly the colour of the melon. It would have been nicer if it was a different colour.

It was grandma's 4th year anniversary yesterday, but we didn't manage to visit her. I decided to keep the outing for today since it is a Friday. Knowing that the lunch might not be enough for the girl, I packed her another bento for when we are out. There is a blueberry jam sandwich, and on top of that is a cheese sandwich decorated to be My Melody's facial features. There's apple & cinnamon cereal, Ikea Easter marshmallows, some fresh apples and Easter sunflower seeds.

4 comments:

Angeleyes said...

Finally you made it!!!! Bravo Deb! I knew you can do it and as they say, practice make perfect!

Looking forward for more superb bentos!

TGIF and have a great weekend yah!

Little Corner of Mine said...

Well done, it's cute! Definitely a lot of work of putting it together. I can tell you, I am not a bento mom. LOL!

Susan Yuen said...

Your bentos are so super cute!!! Great job on them! :)

SIG said...

Hey thanks much ladies. Appreciate your kind words.