Sunday, October 21, 2007

Fried Rice Paradise

I spent the better part of this morning waiting at the clinic to see the doctor. 2 whole hours! I didn't want to walk to the clinic, get a number then come home and walk over again, so we got a number and went to the market, playground, 7-11 and still had to stand around waiting for another 40mins. Goodness! I don't like sitting in the clinic as you can pick up all sorts of germs and you might go in with a cough but come out with worse things. If it's not for the fact that I am lazy to send my girl to school tomorrow morning, I wouldn't have bothered to wait. It's much easier to go down earlier tomorrow to get a number and be the first in the queue, but even so, the doctor doesn't come in till after 9am and the clinic opens at 8.30! She completed one round of anti-biotics but the cough is still persistent. She's got a very dry and itchy throat and still coughing every few seconds!

So while awaiting our turn, we went over to the market and took a slow walk, bought some char siew (bbq pork), fishcake, imitation crab bits and I had cooked the rice before I left the house so that I could come home and fry some rice for lunch.

Fried rice is such an easy yet versatile dish to prepare. Anybody can do it. It helped that I had gotten the stallholder to cut up the char siew into small bite-sized pieces for the purpose of frying rice. It's nice that they accommodate that request. Why is fried rice easy? Because there are no recipes to follow. You put in whatever ingredients you like. It could be spam, peas, shrimps, ham. Anything you fancy really, but dice them into bite-sized bits.

You season it with soy sauce or salt, white pepper and some sesame oil. Voila! Meal complete!

12 comments:

HK Choo said...

wah, your fried rice really very ho-liao with so much liao leh..ya, i also like to fry rice, complete meal some more can clear the fridge, ahha...double-edged sword that is.

Unknown said...

Aiyo, princess still coughing?! Poor thing. Mine just recovered, her cough was on-off for 2 months. She was okay but not for long. Shortly after resuming school, she starts coughing again.

Notice you placed seaweed in a shape of hello kitty on princess' fried rice. Cute. Where you bought them?

Eh friend, your food always look so tempting each time I look at them causing me to become hungry so easily. Haha... :O)

SIG said...

hkchoo - Ya, it's not always so ho liao. Just happened to be down at market today so could pick up char siew, fishcake and crab bits. Ya, exactly. I wanted to clear the cabbage too. Hehe.

debra - Yes, unfortunately she still is. Sigh. Going to school is like that, you will catch things every so often but it helps build up their immunity.

The kitty seaweed is from Japan. Friend got it for me.

Kakaka, ask your in-laws to cook lah, they are such great cooks! ;) I envy you instead. No need step in the kitchen.

Little Corner of Mine said...

Fried rice is sure versatile. I used it to clear my fridge and also for a lazy meal. Sometimes I clear my fridge with fried noodle too. Half rice and half "liao" huh? Haha...

SIG said...

little corner of mine - Ya, noodles also but my other two prefer rice than noodles. Ya, must have lots of liao then nice, right? ;)

daphne said...

hopefully princess is feeling better now? but she has this delicious treat of fried rice from mum! =)

SIG said...

daphne - Well, she still is coughing and I've just put her down for a nap. The medi knocks her out. She usually doesn't nap. Ya, she actually ate the fried rice. Hopefull she'll start liking it again, once I don't put peas in. :P

BoZoGEMOK said...

Delicious looking fried rice with so much ingredients.. my favourite!The best one dish meal.

SIG said...

bozo - Ah yes, the perfect one-dish meal. Sometimes I do it with pasta.

East Meets West Kitchen said...

Sorry to hear about your princess. My two princesses have been coughing for two weeks now, and I'm still waiting for the antibiotics to work.
Your fried rice looks great!

Cranberry said...

I love fried rice with lot of liao...i can eat one big serving, yours looks solid!

SIG said...

east meets west kitchen - Ai, the anti-bio didn't work. Hope it works for your girls. Thanks. :)

cranberry - Ya, more liao nicer right? Otherwise will be too plain.