Thursday, October 18, 2007

Chinese Radish Cake or Chai Tow Kueh

A real quickie post before I have to shower and rush over to school to pick up little one. Made this today, just in fact. Was sifting through all my pieces of papers containing jotted down recipes as I intend to type them out and file them nicely, and came across this recipe.

I cannot even remember whose recipe this is. Either my grandma's or her helper's. It was written so long ago. Anyway, here it is. I will make some amendments the next time I do it as it was quite hard, I don't mean hard hard but I would like it a little softer. I also saw it on another blog. Lily's recipe calls for 4 cups water whereas mine is only 3.

Here's what a Chinese radish looks like. Click on the link to read more.

Chinese Radish Cake
Ingredients -

1 radish (grated) - squeeze out excess juice
2 bowls of rice flour (chinese rice bowls)
3 bowls of water (mix this well with rice flour) - I will use 3half to 4 bowls next time
1 tsp pepper
2 tsp salt (you'll probably have to add more if adding water) - taste it and see



Optional ingredients (you can use either one or you can use all of the following) -

chinese mushroom (cut into strips)
lean meat (cut into strips)
chinese sausage (sliced)
dried shrimps (soaked in water to soften)


Garnish -

shallots
spring onions
cut chilli


Method -

1. Fry shallots till golden and remove. Next, fry chinese sausage and remove. Fry the dried shrimps (which have been removed from water and pat dry). Set all these ingredients aside.

2. Fry radish, add salt and pepper, then add flour. Add the above ingredients together and fry till well mixed.

3. Pour out into a round cake tin and steam for 1/2 an hr.

4. Remove from steamer and garnish.

19 comments:

Nails...etcetera with Priscilla ! said...

Ohhhh!!! my fav.
Best eaten pan-fried with xo chilli sauce on the side...Yums!

SIG said...

Oh yes! Thanks for the reminder about XO sauce. Yums! I was just thinking of pan fry or fried with black sauce.

BoZoGEMOK said...

Yum Yum... good for my breakfast!

SIG said...

bozo - You know what? Breakfast was the thing on my mind when I made this. ;)

trevshanhann said...

yum yum.. i love this and so does my mum...

HK Choo said...

yum!

Little Corner of Mine said...

Glad to read you are back to your normal self again. Stress is bad!

Your radish kuih looks delish, will wait for the recipe, hope it's not too difficult to make.

You know what, the restaurant here actually stir-fry it with XO sauce too!

BoZoGEMOK said...

Yeah.. give me a high 5 Deb, great minds think alike:)

Par said...

Mmmmm... I want a slice with oyster sauce :P

Jo said...

Wahhhh...my mouth is already watering! Gosh, the last time I had that was in 2003 when we went back. I am soooo deprived! I hope it's easy to make. I think I can get Radish at the Asian grocery store. So recipe pleeeeese.
Oh, and hope you, Sam and Hani had a good get-together. I miss you all!!!! Where did you all go to makan?
Hugs,
Jo

SIG said...

bozo - (High 5!) Haha. Indeed!

ilovepearly - Haha, help yourself. There's plenty.

Jo - Yes, yes, posting recipe. Great you can get radish there. We had lunch at Coffee Bean Vivo. Actually only Sam and princess ate. Haha. I had my, ahem, chai tow kuay and Hani had lontong at her friend's prior to meeting up. She tried emailing you but you didn't reply. She leaves on Sunday and hopes to see you when you go to Atlanta.

SIG said...

trevshanhann - Oh really? Mum likes? You should try it. Is easy.

hk choo - Thanks. :)

little corner of mine - Oh thanks. I know stress is bad but once in a while everything goes wrong on the same day. It's not difficult to make. Hey, if you can make lao po ping, what is steamed radish cake?! Hahaha. Ah, so you can make your won at home now with XO sauce. ;)

daphne said...

steamed radish cake-must be alot of work to grate the radish! so..going to stir fry it? hehehee.

SIG said...

daphne - not at all. It's easy use a grater. Haha.

Jori said...

That does look very interesting. I'm sure what you refer to as radish is very different from what we have here in Canada - bigger, yes? What I know as a radish is small, round, with red skin and white inside.
I would like to try this if I can find chinese radish - but also need to know (approx.) how big is chinese rice bowl? 1/2 cup imperial measure? Bigger? Smaller?

InspiredMumof2 said...

I like steam Chai tow kueh too, long time never eat! Will definitely try out your recipe, i'm sure the kids will like it.

SIG said...

jori - I have put a link to the description of radish and the uses for it. It should be sold in most Asian supermarkets. The rice bowl can be any bowl. You just have to use the same rice bowl to measure the water. The bowl I used was approximately equivalent to 1 measuring cup or 8ozs. Maybe to begin, you can just make half the amount I did. So maybe you can try 1 cup rice flour and 2 cups water.

inspiredmumof2 - Yes, make it for the kids and make your own Fried Chai Tow Kueh.

Beau Lotus 涟 said...

Mmmm have not eaten this in ages, should make some soon ah!

SIG said...

beau lotus - yes you should :)