Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Chilli Tapioca Crisps

My mouth just waters at the sight of this. It's one of my favourite snacks. And would you believe, it's princess' too? Can't imagine, right? But she really loves it and it's one of the 2 chilli things that she'll take. She'll take sips of water in-between bites of these but she'll still ask for more. The other chilli thing she loves is Indomie's Mee Goreng. That's her favourite instant noodles. I guess that started because she saw mummy eating it and she was tempted so always asked to try the noodles and even though was spicy she still put up with it cos she loved it. Hahaha. Why is it that all kids love instant noodles?

So when she saw me eat the chilli tapioca the first time, needless to say, she wanted to share them too. And from there, I started her on mild chilli. I told her that if she can take the tapioca, then she can try other chilli stuff. So one day, we attended a friend, Hani's, wedding. And Hani, being a Muslim, served spicy food. It so happened that Nasi Briyani was served that evening, and I had not fed her before going. It just totally did not occur to me to do so, and that there might not be suitable foodstuff for her. Oh, so what to do? She had to eat it. And even though was spicy and she was downing cups of water interspersed with grapes, that were on a little plate on the dining table, she still finished all of the rice and chicken. Bravo to her! But she will never ever forget that dinner. Till today, she reminds us every time we talk about spicy food.

I'm so proud of her and I would continue to train her up with chilli and spice. Hehe. I mean, how can you live in Singapore and not enjoy chilli? ;)

By the way, thanks to my lovely aunt who so kindly got us 3 packets of these so we can indulge in them. She knows we love them. ;)

18 comments:

InspiredMumof2 said...

Wah, coughing and still eating spicy snack? One of my mum's favorite too ^0^

Beau Lotus 涟 said...

That's where I didn't do too badly - have trained all my kids even the really young ones to eat chilli especially curries. They will drink lots of water if it's too hot, but they'll still insist on eating it!

Little Corner of Mine said...

Exactly! That's why I have to train my girls to eat Spicy food because this mommy loves to cook spicy food and cooking extra non-spicy food for them is extra work for me. I also noticed that sometimes she can eat spicy snack, even the spicy Thai tom yam noodle (with water of course) when she wanted to. But she would say this chicken is too spicy and I don't want to eat it (even though in my opinion is less spicy than the tom yam noodle). I guess they eat when they really wanted to and if they don't wish to eat, they will complaint it's too spicy (excuse)!

daphne said...

hey hey! I love those chips too! and hehe.. gran started teaching me how to eat chilli at a tender age of 4.... her exact words were "u r a cantonese, must learn how to eat chilli, if you don't learn..then no food for you." not that she meant it that way, but I learned quick! your princess did really well! h

SIG said...

inspiredmumof2 - No, no, no, you read that wrong. She loves it but she's not eating now as she's coughing. I wouldn't let her, but then again, she hasn't seen them. Ah, mum's fav? You don't like it?

beau lotus - Yes, curry is so universal. Just the other day we were in a food court and my mum was like asking, why these mat salleh all love Indian food? I mean it's spicy but they love it. I think it's the spices? Everyone loves curry, don't you think? Yes, I think you did well.

little corner of mine - I totally agree! It's really troublesome to cook non-spicy and spicy at the same time, so usually I just cook non-spicy. And I absolutely agree with you! They pick what spicy stuff they like to eat and say, no it's not hot. But wouldn't eat something else that is mildly spicy. Kids!

daphne - Is Cantonese food very spicy? I only know them to have plenty of soups and roasts. Enlighten me.

SIG said...

inspiredmumof2 - Sorry, I must have phrased it wrongly haha. Not your fault. ;) Have amended.

Shazz said...

Hi sis....love those chips! Our little girl is turning into a real nonya. Kudos to her!

trevshanhann said...

hey.. i know 1 kid who doesn't like instant noodles..mine ha ha.. but my 13 mth old loves any food and even eats brayni and chicken curry so she makes up for her sister ha ha. a bit young to start on chilli but what to do i don't give her much tho.

SIG said...

shazz - Look who's here??? Wah... really xi ke. Hahaha, First time commenting, right? Hehe. Don't worry, will get you some when you are back. Hope you already booked your flight. Oh yes, must train her up more, huh?!

Shazz said...

Yep back for christmas...I hope (fingers crossed). Yeah gotta train her. Then she'll truly be her grandpa & grandma's grandkid!

East Meets West Kitchen said...

LOL! I read your post and decided that my kids are more 'angmo' than I thought. No spicy for them yet and I have one more year to go before they get training like Daphne. Also, my tolerance for spicy has gone down since being away for so long. I will need a tall glass of cold milk with these spicy chips. LOL!

BoZoGEMOK said...

Oh so that's the chilli tapioca chips that Shan has been wanting to eat.. haha

Big Boys Oven said...

Oh Iove thos tapioca crisp with coated sauce, I had them in my office this week!!!

SIG said...

trevshanhann - Oh, are you serious? She doesn't like instant noodles?! Gosh! But she doesn't like eating anyway, so why am I surprised. Anyway, baby will make up for her. ;) Well, is never too young to start on chilli, but maybe don't give her too spicy. Just continue giving a little at a time and hope she doesn't lose it.

shazz - Great! See you in Dec with all our goodies. ;)

east meets west kitchen - Hahaha, I don't want mine to be too ang moh. Lol! Oh, you really can't take lots of spice now? Oh dear. But it's true chilli needs 'practise', haha, once you cut down or stop you have to start all over again. You can try them off with some mild curry.

bozo - Ah yes.

big boys oven - Hi there, thanks for dropping by. ;) Wow, you did? They are so yummy, aren't they?!

Nails...etcetera with Priscilla ! said...

For a start, I love anything spicy...so how can I not love these chips!
Are U a connoisseur of tap chips?
Any brand that I shd die for?
Not tried anything from 'xiang wei' though...not even their 'Bak Kua'.

SIG said...

paw paw - I know you do. ;) Am no connoisseur. Just I find these Xiang Wei ones very fresh. My aunt gave them to me for CNY and after that I was hooked on them. I don't buy them as the Xiang Wei that is accessible to me doesn't carry it. So aunt is my stocker. ;)

tigerfish said...

Chili tapioca is one of my favs childhood snacks too!

Just found your blog. Nice blog you have. :)

SIG said...

Hi tigerfish, thanks for dropping by to visit. It seems everyone loves this snack, doesn't it? Hehe. Thanks for your compliments. :) Will try visit you soon as I'm pretty tied up this week. :(