Thursday, January 17, 2008

Of donuts and baked rice

Was at a supermarket today and walked past the donut stall. The yummy, sinful treats were just calling out to us... 'eat me, eat me'. Decided to give in to temptation as it's been a long time since we last had them. Every one of them looked so deliciously inviting, I wish I could choose all. Hehe.

Love the seasonal box, so festive-looking.

I ordered my favourite peanut butter one, a chocolate banana, a chocolate rainbow (you can guess who that is for), a strawberry chocolate, a bitter chocolate, and the last white chocolate one I think is latte flavour. Can't remember.

For dinner tonight, I made baked rice. Been tempted by Daphne some time back (in Nov... I somehow can't link that post here) and then Peony recently, so finally put my heart into making it. Princess loved it. I was a bit apprehensive about how she'd take to it but when she heard me saying I was going to make cheese rice, she was excited. Phew. Thought I had to make a separate pasta dish for her. She said when she finished her portion that she wanted more, but she soon spied the donuts which she had almost forgotten about. Haha.

So here's my first attempt at baked rice in which I put diced chicken cubes, yellow capsicum, button mushrooms, broccoli (by request of the princess), and lots of mozarella and red cheddar, plus cream of mushroom soup. Quite pleased with result but by time hubby is back for his dinner, I doubt it'd be nice anymore.

11 comments:

daphne said...

u did it! man..that looks yummy. AR came by saw the photo and say "that looks very good".

cream of mushroom soup is an excellent idea.. makes it creamier. Campbells?

SIG said...

daphne - Hehe, thanks AR. Yes, campbells.

Little Corner of Mine said...

That baked cheese rice sure looks good! Looks like there are a lot of new donut shops in Asia and people still go crazy about it. Not so much here anymore. Even the only Krispy Creme shop here also closed shop and the supermarket here also no longer carry Krispy Creme donuts. :(

HK Choo said...

gonna make this soon...thanks for the "reminder", hahha..

SIG said...

little corner of mine - Oh thanks, hehe. You should try baking it too. A good one-dish meal. As for donuts, not really. They are around but I don't think ppl are really so crazy over it now, queuing for 2hrs etc. Madness! The Donut Factory, where you had to queue so long for, is now rather empty. Donuts waiting for ppl, not vice versa. But I am not crazy over them - the amount of fat, and calories and cholesterol it will give you. Goodness! Scary to think. But I have it once in a blue moon. I don't crave it. Oh wow, Krispy Creme closed shop there? Hmmm... it's good for the people that they are not choosing junk food then.

SIG said...

hk choo - Hehe, ya. I also bought the prawn paste liao. :P

Jori said...

That baked rice dish looks GREAT! Now you have a new dish to add to a favourite for Princess!

SIG said...

jori - Oh thank you. Yes, I know. But next time I will try short grain or basmati rice. I think they will taste better.

Big Boys Oven said...

hahahah this is so cool!

Beachlover said...

wow!! yum yum..so chessy..I love it..your is the second blogger I see baking rice.Must be good one.I never bake rice b4,must try one day..today I just bake creamy cheesy bread with cheese and milk.I use left over bread and dip in milk bake with cheese.I think I saw this in Food Network.

SIG said...

big boys oven - Thanks guys. :)

beachlover - Oh really? You must try. Wow, the cheese bread must be yummy, more like a dessert?