Wednesday, March 24, 2010

The explosion

After a fun couple of hours yesterday, we returned to Vivo to have dinner with the hubby after his work. Princess wanted to have pasta at Coffee Bean while daddy & I wanted to have prata at Food Republic. In the end, we decided to pack her pasta so we could all eat together at the food court.

I love the prata there and hubby always orders a cup of teh tarik. Princess had finished her pasta and we were almost done with ours, when a lady came by with her pushcart and I ordered a lychee juice. I turned to my bag on my right to get some cash to pay her. Suddenly there was a loud crash and I thought the lady dropped a glass, which was weird as I remembered seeing the drinks in plastic cups. I looked towards the other table where princess and hubby was sitting, and saw some brown liquid all over the table. I didn't have an idea of what had happened as my back was turned. It didn't occur to me that it was the cup of tea which hubby had ordered. I think everyone got a shock, including the drinks lady. Those in the first picture are broken glass pieces, not ice cubes. The good thing was that it didn't shatter into tiny pieces. Princess didn't know what to do so we got her to leave her seat to come over to my right. While trying to get out of her seat, I think she put her palm on the chair or table and a bit of glass got caught in her palm. Everything was happening at the same time, and I was also trying to pay the lady. Hubby was very lucky to not have been drinking the tea at the time of the explosion. It was only when she started crying that we realized something was wrong. Her tiny wound had some blood on the surface but this is different from a splinter where I could just use a pair of tweezers to remove, so after calling over the shop staff who in turn got the manager of the food court over to have a look, we found a doctor at Vivo to take her to. She was very brave even though doctor did scare her a little by telling her not to look and instead look at me and not move a muscle. It wasn't a bit painful at all when the bit was removed. In fact, I think she was pretty proud of her little plaster as she held her hand palms up all the way after that, sort of trying to show that she was hurt and trying to get a bit of attention haha.

We went back to see the manager after that and got a refund of the doctor's fees as well as what we paid for our meal. He was very helpful and apologetic, as well as all those involved in it. The prata man said he was sorry but it wasn't his fault. Haha. I assured him that it wasn't, and that we were ok.

One of my friend's hubby had experienced this same incident before and according to her, there was probably a surface crack on the glass and the heat must have made it explode. But it was really a frightening experience and I just thank God that no glass bits ended in princess or hubby's eyes.

7 comments:

Shazz said...

Omg!!! That must've been scary! Thank God none of you got hurt badly. In future just order cold drinks!

SIG said...

Shazz - Yes! You had ice rain, we had glass rain.

Angeleyes said...

Yeah, luckily no serious injuries.

HK Choo said...

Scary s**t..but then, glad no one's hurt. By the way, has prinicess's 'lil wound heal?

SIG said...

Yes A, indeed lucky.

HK - Her palm was well by the next morning. Tks.

Beau Lotus said...

When I saw this in your FB post, I thought that it must have been quite scary as I jump even when it is just a balloon bursting...

Glad that no one's hurt.

SIG said...

Oh gosh Beau, balloons do that to me too. :(