Friday, March 26, 2010

Chilled Mango Cheesecake

I have been very lazy since Tuesday and just want to do nothing more than be a couch potato. Not sure if it's because my body is still adjusting to waking up so early since I had a break of a week in which I could wake up at any time I wished. My girl has gone on a sleepover at my friend's tonight, so I used that to push me to prepare some yummy goodies for them.

I wasn't very lucky with the two recipes I tried out today. Well, don't get me wrong. They both turned out great. But in both recipes, there were wrong measurements.

The first recipe I tried was this cheesecake one. I am not a fan of chilled cheesecakes. I love the rich, solid types. I don't like mousse-y ones either. To me, they are not real cheesecakes. However, I liked this one.

I had two mangoes in the fridge which my dad brought for my daughter, but I felt I could do something better with them and I still had about 750g of cream cheese in the chiller. I decided to pair them up and thus began my search for a recipe. I found this one on where else but 'bestrecipes.com'.

I can't seem to copy the recipe so I will need to type it, sigh.

Ingredients -

500g mango, diced (I only had 450g I think = 2 mangoes)
500g cream cheese
1/2 cup sugar or to taste
1/4 cup hot water
1tbsp gelatine
300ml cream (I used the Emborg whipping cream which I had in my fridge)
75g butter, melted
1/2cup plain sweet biscuits or Mcvities digestives (I seriously do not think 1/2cup is the right amount. I put in at least 1-1/2cups as there was too much butter in equation to the original 1/2cup)

Method -

1. Blend biscuits in food processor and mix with melted butter. Press into the bottom of a cheesecake tin.

2. Place tin in freezer while preparing the rest of the mixture.

3. Combine half of the mango with cream cheese and sugar in food processor and blend till smooth.

4. Add gelatine to hot water and stir till melted. Allow to cool.

5. Add cream to mango mixture and process for 40seconds.

6. To this mixture, add the cooled gelatine and blend for a few more seconds.

7. Gently stir in the remainder diced mangoes into cheesecake mixture. Pour into prepared tin. Refrigerate at least 6hrs , decorate with sliced mango and thickened cream.

Overall it had a very nice taste, but I wish the mangoes were slightly sourish so that it would lend a more acidic taste to the overall flavour . I think 1/2tsp of lemon juice might just do the trick.

The original recipe is from here.

2 comments:

HK Choo said...

Nice lemon curls at the top, haha..I'm sure the cheesecake was yummy as well, but I always prefer baked ones coz like you said, more solid and oomph!

SIG said...

Thanks!