Monday, August 18, 2008

Nanbantei

This quaint hole in the wall Japanese eatery beckoned to us one rainy Sunday afternoon, while we were at Far East Plaza to pick up something for sis. We had arranged to meet mum for lunch in Orchard. But as most malls in Orchard are not linked, we weren't too keen to venture out into the pouring rain. Besides, we had no idea what to eat. So we took a stroll around the mall and chanced upon this Japanese restaurant which apparently specializes in yakitori. Business was brisk. While we were seated at the counter seats beside the entrance, customers were going in and out.

Mum ordered the Obento, I believe it cost $12.90 and it comes with 5 sticks of yakitori, rice, and pickles. Not sure if I had left my camera home that day, thus we used the camera phone. Hubby had the Shokado ($14.90/$16.90 - can't remember) which comprised a grilled fish/sashimi, some pieces of yasai tempura, fruits, rice and pickles. As for me, I had the Unagi ($18). All were excellent. For princess, we ordered her 2 sticks of chicken meatball yakitori ($5), agedashi tofu ($8) and a bowl of rice.

Prices are reasonable for the sets. Ala carte can set you back by quite a bit and drinks too were costly. But I guess at the end of the day you are paying for the quality. We'll be back for sure.

Nanbantei Japanese Restaurant
14 Scotts Road
#05-132
Far East Plaza
Singapore 228213

7 comments:

daphne said...

Far East-funny enough I didnt know the hv good food there till recently. My aunt said the rojak on the 4th floor and chicken rice is very good too.

That jap place sounds decent in pricing and value. The ugani makes me drool!

SIG said...

daphne - Wow, you are fast. I just published. Lol! Oh really? Rojak where? Is it the Indo Ayam Penyet? I love Unagi. :)

karlsfoodie said...

looks like i must pop by thr 1 day....

Miz Young said...

Hey I ate here once looooooong and it was for dinner, only ala carte I think and you're right about it being pricey!! But it was really good.... I remembered thinking it was worth the money spent!

Little Corner of Mine said...

They sure is very generous with the unagi. I love unagi too! :)

SIG said...

karlsfoodie - Yes, drop by. :)

miz young - Oh really? Haha. Dinner is ala carte only? So I guess lunch sets are better value then. Glad to hear you enjoyed your meal there too.

lcom - Oh yes, it was lovely as well.

Unknown said...

It's my fav place for yakitori. Nobody does yakitori like they do.
Their corn cob yakitori is to die for. Was sooo disappointed that they ran out of corn once, i was tempted to buy some from the supermarket at Isetan Scotts for them.