Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Happy birthday Singapore

This post is 3 days' late, all because silly me left my camera at mum's. We made plans to have a pohpiah session at mum's on Saturday and watch the parade together. But in the end, the kids were more interested in playing than watching. I have to say I wasn't too impressed with the parade. Well, I only watched the first part of it till the President arrived and did his inspection of the contingents. The poor man had to walk in the rain throughout the downpour. And what have they done to the national songs? It's all jazzed up and weird and you just can't sing along. Well, anyway, I guess the important part of the day was the food. :)

Mum and sis prepared the ingredients for the pohpiah. Thanks very much for all your hard work. :*

Uncle C bought the skin and condiments from Joo Chiat at a shop called Kway Guan Huat. I've found an interesting post with descriptions and photos of the place if you are interested. By the way, the plain skin costs $18/kg now on weekends.

I made some burgers for the kids in case they wouldn't eat the pohpiah. Mini burgers using butter rolls. I used a mix of minced pork and beef, cut the florets off the broccoli, shredded some carrots, diced some onions and added them to the patty. I used oyster sauce, worchestershire sauce, white pepper for the seasoning of the patty and pan fried them. I then assembled them with a slice each of tomato and cheese. Voila!

I also made curry chicken which didn't look very pretty so I'm not showing it here. :P

What I did make, which were rather pretty, were custard tarts with strawberries and blueberries as topping, as well as some chocolate eclairs. You just can't stop popping them in. ;) I used Peony's custard tart recipe, and instead of using jam, I used melted chocolate. I also did not bake the fruits in with the custard. I opted to decorate them after they were out of the oven. They were nice. I will try the creme patisserie for the filling another time as it would have been more appropriate for the topping.

My aunt bought these cute little donuts from a stall in Suntec called Mumsie's Oven. They are very pretty and perfect for parties. They cost $9 for 24pcs. Ok, they do not have a website but I just googled it and found that they are actually under Puteri Mas. I love their durian puffs and I think they were refrigerated together with the durian products, which explains the durian taste in the donuts. No wonder hubby wasn't too keen on them.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

wow! what a spread! happy belated national's day!

Miz Young said...

ohhhhh I think the tarts look lovely and probably tasted even better!

Tell J that we'll get him a durian cake for his bday :P

HK Choo said...

WOW, so much food...you mean there are different pricing for the popiah skin on weekdays and weekends??

Cute mini burgers, you sure stir up a storm in your kitchen for the occassion :)

daphne said...

The tarts look gorgeous!!!! I made some tarts about 1 month ago too..and used custard as well, but I think u r right, creme patisserie will be more appropriate.

Jori said...

The custard tarts look amazing! One of my favourites...

Sounds like you had a fun-filled weekend!

sohcool said...

Hi,
I like this entry. Photos of good party food. What an idea for the burger! And your tarts look so good. Are they easy to make?
As for NDP, I guess I didn't miss much.

Little Corner of Mine said...

Yes Yes Yes! The most important part is the FOOD! LOL! What a glorious spread of food too! Your custard cups were pretty and I won't be able to stop myself from popping it into my mouth too. Great job!

SIG said...

rita - Yes a spread indeed. :) And thanks!

miz young - Haha, they were nice. And yes, you should get him one so I can enjoy it. ;)

hk choo - Believe it or not, yes, there is a $2 difference in weekend and weekdays. Haha, how often do we get to have the family together, right? It's worth the hard work once people enjoy, don't you agree?

daphne - Totally! Am using creme patisserie next time for this purpose.

jori - Oh you love them? :) It was a good weekend to be together with family and have fun and relax a little.

sohcool - Thanks for the compliments. Glad you enjoyed the post. They are easy to make but that's because the dough was ready made from another time and it had been frozen. You can get ready ones or you could make them yourself. It isn't that tough. Well, it is same old same old every year. Didn't miss much.

lcom - Haha, great minds think alike. ;) Hehe, thanks.

Maya Yunos said...

In every celebration and festival, E food is always E most important it seems :P I didn't really watch E NDP except for E part where there was fireworks and E part where E President left :p Seriously we need something new! It just feels like E same every year. I'm not too keen with E jazzed up numbers too!