Saturday, August 30, 2008

A date made a year ago...

Plain lotus and some with red bean and a little piece of Oreo hidden within...

Red wine and cranberry snow skin...

The mooncake festival is just round the corner, in approximately 2 weeks' time. Last year at this time, I had only started blogging not long, and was introduced to a whole new world out here on blogger. I've learned a lot in this short time, and marveled at all the wonderful food creations people around the world come up with. There are so many so many talented bakers and cooks out there who don't even do it professionally. Where I used to only bake once in a few months, I suddenly got caught into this baking frenzy with recipes popping up everywhere, some so interesting I just couldn't wait to try them out. It was during this time that I discovered so many people actually made mooncakes at home. I was intrigued. Curiosity got the better of me, and I actually tried it out. Alas, I was unsuccessful. One lady in particular caught my attention and she is none other than Cranberry. I love to drool over her beautiful bakes. She is very talented and when I casually mentioned that maybe she could teach me to make those beautiful snow skin mooncakes, she agreed and we made a date for this year. Time sure does fly by so fast, don't you agree? I can't believe one year has passed.

The mooncakes turned out great and we had lots of fun making them, princess included. J is so super patient with her and allowed her to play with the flour. Mummy couldn't help telling her to stop it and not mess up the place. Hehe. It was really wonderful of her to open up her home to us and let us learn from her. Thanks very much, J. I do so appreciate it.

Not just that, she even made us lovely peach and mango marshmallow cakes. Wow, that was a surprise, but I do so loved it. It wasn't sweet at all and the biscuit base really complimented the marshmallow and fruits. Yum! It's the one thing I've seen countless times on her blog and often wondered what this marshmallow cake is. Now I know and have tasted. :)

Here's the one we brought home. :)

10 comments:

Miz Young said...

This may sound strange but my fav in that pic was the blue car! So cute!!! the rest were really nice too D!

so we meet on Thurs ya? Godpa's coming too :)

paw paw said...

All very pretty....your effort is all worth it.

Unknown said...

gosh i live in hong kong and i have yet to try snow skin mooncake! sous chef promised to buy me some hehehehe hope he remembers!

daphne said...

The oreo idea is soo good! I have just started making some over in Perth too.

karlsfoodie said...

i been wondering.. does the mooncake stick to the paper cups aft awhile?

HK Choo said...

That's a lot of different sizes and shapes, lovely!

Little Corner of Mine said...

Wah, how fun! I would love to learn how to make snow skin mooncake too. I have never tasted a marshmallow cake and still wandering how it tasted like. How I wish someone would make it for me!

bossacafez said...

i love your mooncakes! they look so cute & colorful :D

SIG said...

miz young - I love the blue car and the bunny but they are not made with my moulds.

daphne- Can't wait to see your mooncakes.

hk choo - Yes, cos we got together and shared our moulds that's why got so many designs. Mine alone are boring. :P

lcom - It's very easy. As for the marshmallow cake, yes my first time trying too. Haha, you come here and I will try make one for you.

evan - Thanks. Are you making some too?

YumMum said...

Hihi,

May I know where you brought those flower mooncake mould? They looks like the japanese mochi dessert. Very lovely indeed! Thanks. :)

Regards,
Jadelotus