Sunday, July 20, 2008

Papaya & Ikan kurau Soup

That's what the inside of the green papaya looks like.

I'm out of ideas what to cook for soups for dinner so while I was at princess' swim class one day, we mums were on the topic of soups and one of them gave me the idea to make the above soup. I didn't do it immediately as it took me a while to go hunting for the green papaya needed. Just last week, I was at the veg stall, not the one I frequent, and I came across it. I picked up a small ikan kurau head as those were the 2 main ingredients which form the basis of the soup.

I was rather apprehensive in offering it for dinner but both princess and I had no problems with it. It tasted great. However, hubby didn't like it. I think he found it too fishy.

Ingredients (for 3) -

A small ikan kurau head
half a green papaya, seeds removed and cut into cubes
6 red dates
a piece of ginger approx 1/2inch (can add more ginger according to your preference)
dried scallops, approx 5-6
salt and white pepper to taste

Method -
Put everything into the pot to boil for 2hrs. Do not stir it while it's cooking in order that the fish does not disintegrate. You will end up with a messy soup otherwise. It starts off clear and ends up a milky colour. I put the dates into a stock bag so it's less messy that way. You might like to add dates halfway through cooking else the dates will break apart if boiled for too long.

Note - Apparently this soup is very beneficial to nursing mums as it helps increase milk supply.

5 comments:

Lore said...

This is really intriguing! I'm trying to imagine all these wondeful flavours mixed together. Going though a soup period these days :D

SIG said...

lore - Thanks for visiting. :) Ahhh, soups are good.

Shazz said...

oh good i can feed it to my ewes so the lambs can have more milk...HAHAHA!!!!

paw paw said...

I have never tasted papaya soup before...juz not a papaya fan.

Does the soup smell like papaya?

SIG said...

shazz - You can indeed. Lol, but the ewes would like fish.

paw paw - No papaya taste at all, more fishy taste.