Saturday, July 26, 2008

King of the fruits

I have been tempted for weeks by the man who comes by in a truck every evening, shouting from downstairs "溜莲, 溜莲". It was getting on my nerves. The reason being I'm not allowed to bring the fruit into my household, and secondly, it isn't much fun eating it on my own. I've been waiting patiently for sis to come back for her holidays in a week's time but with every holler from the durian man, my resolve is weakening.

This evening, I was very lucky to have had the chance to finally taste it. What pleasure! But because we got it from a little makeshift stall, there wasn't much choice. I've been wanting to try the 'mountain cat', the new kid on the block. The durians this evening were nice, good as a starter for someone who's been deprived, but nothing to shout about. I've eaten far better ones.

I love durians which are creamy, thick and bitter, well, not too bitter. What is your preference?

8 comments:

Little Corner of Mine said...

Looks good, I want some too! :P I like mine bright yellow, creamy and sweet, not too crazy about the bitter ones.

karlsfoodie said...

oh yes.. I onli love mountain cat... but the price kills hee... timely reminder I should go n grab some soon...

SIG said...

lcom - Oh, did you manage to eat some when you were back in Malaysia? That's my favourite. I don't eat Thai ones. Well, I'm not crazy for overly bitter ones, but I do like them with a touch of bitterness.

karlsfoodie - It's $10/kg for the mountain cat but I've not tried it. I read some comments that it isn't that great.

Maya Yunos said...

I lovee E creamy and slightly bitter ones too! Yummmmmmz!

Unknown said...

oh goshhh i loveee durians...sweet ones...bitter ones... i just don't love the tasteless ones hehehe

sitta said...

me too, me too...I love the bitter ones! yum yum. be careful not to eat too much :)

Big Boys Oven said...

oh! cant do without the king of fruit!

SIG said...

maya - Hehe, have you been having durians? ;) I only had it the one time, but fear not, come next Sunday, I will have more hehehe.

rita - Totally agree lol!

sitta - Haha, if only I get to eat too much! ;)

bbo - Hehe.