Monday, April 14, 2008

BBQ

It's been a long time since we had organised a bbq and hubby thought it'd be great to get a few of his colleagues over for one. It was all very fun when we first planned it, but at the end of the day, the bulk of the preparation rested on my shoulders. To make matters worse, on the day of the bbq, there was a major storm at noon while we were leaving ballet class. B was supposed to pick up little princess to a classmate's birthday party, and hub's friend and wife were to collect her after. So they were very late for the party as we waited for the rain to die down. Thanks very much, B, I do so appreciate your help, and also the mothers who are ever-so-willing to lend a hand every time. The rain delayed the precious little time I had going around to buy food. I called up the hubs and said why not I just buy ready satay and otah from the supermarket, and his reply was 'Huh?!'. Ok, so he wasn't satisfied with just normal frozen stuff then, but what was I to do when a storm was going on?

When the rain finally came to a standstill, we rushed around getting otah from the famous Mackeral Otah in Joo Chiat, and satay supposedly from Haig Road market. Unfortunately by the time we made it to Haig Road, all the satay had been sold out. Goodness! What was I to do?! I had to think of an alternative quickly, and remembered City Satay which was very near to where I was then. Hurried over and got what we needed.

D arrived early to help me with the preparation of the bacon/asparagus sticks etc. Both she and C also picked up some food stuff such as snowfish satay and salmon teriyaki sticks. She got scallops in shells specially for me. So sweet of them. I enjoyed them very much, all the food she brought.

We had some unusual food that evening. Portobello mushrooms with butter/garlic seasoning, and scallop shells with the same topping. All tasted heavenly, especially the scallops which were so sweet, no other seasoning was needed. But of course, there was the chicken wings which is a must at every bbq, and that was pretty popular, I'm glad. ;) And surely, there were sausages, garlic bread, and sweet potatoes and stingrays. The last two of which weren't very popular. :P

A special thank you to those who brought food and drinks, you know who you are. And also to the couple who babysat our little one.

It was a lovely gathering and the 3 little girls had fun in the little waddling pool.

But it had been a tiring day and we were all exhausted by the end of it. Unfortunately I've been laden with loads of food stuff which we'll have to feed ourselves this week.

8 comments:

Little Corner of Mine said...

Looks fun and so many things to eat, not to say yummy BBQ food.

SIG said...

little corner of mine - Thanks C, it was fun and food was yummy. :P

daphne said...

i miss charcoal bbq! we can't have that here.. =(

SIG said...

daphne - Oh really? Then what do you use?

Beau Lotus 涟 said...

YUMMY YUMMY YUMMY!!! Your BBQ looked so good I want to have some too...I must force the Hub to go buy me a pit next week. I am craving for a BBQ myself though unfortunately I wouldn't be able to buy delicious otah or satay from anywhere :-(.

SIG said...

beau lotus - Hehe, yes you should get a pit. I love bbq too but it's a hassle. However, if you have one in your backyard, that would be a different matter. ;) Hey, make your own otah and satay lah. I'm sure will be yummy.

Big Boys Oven said...

must be hard work! but I am sure it was fun and well worth it!

SIG said...

big boys oven - Yeah, lots of hard work but great fun.