Saturday, June 28, 2008

Taukwa with pork fillet

These days I'm really sick thinking of what to prepare for dinner. It's always the same few dishes and even though the family doesn't complain, I'm tired of them. So while in the market the other morning, I tried to get inspiration. It's quite tough as both of them have stuff that they do not like to eat, so it makes planning difficult. I'm sure it's a common problem with mums or wives who prepare dinner. You ask the family what they would like to eat, and their answer is always 'don't know' or 'anything'. And when you present the food to them, they will say they don't like that. Sigh. It's a lose-lose situation.

I took a chance with this taukwa and sliced pork fillet in dark sauce. Hubby doesn't eat tofu and princess doesn't like meat. However, hubby surprised me by finishing it! Hmm... ok. That's good news. I can add it to the menu now. :)

Ingredients -

Pork or chicken fillet, sliced thinly
one piece taukwa, cut into smaller pieces
spring onions, sliced thinly
garlic

Seasoning for meat -

dark sauce
white pepper
sesame oil
corn starch

Method -

Fry garlic till fragrant and add meat. Next add taukwa and water, approximately half a cupful or more depending on your preference. Add salt to taste. Simmer for a few minutes and it's done. Add spring onions and mix them in. Ready to serve.

3 comments:

Little Corner of Mine said...

Totally get what you mean, my hubby is the same. I cook similar dish for my family too.

eatingclubvancouver_js said...

I hear ya! So difficult to plan meals when every answer is "I don't know."

As my mother laments sometimes, they should invent food pills to make the lives of housewives ultra-convenient. No more dilemmas like these. ;)

SIG said...

lcom - Haha, I think it exists in every household.

js - Hey there, thanks for dropping by my blog. Haha, we shall feed those pills to the ones who 'don't know' what they want to eat, and cook stuff for ourselves which WE want to eat. ;)