Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Buttery Spritz Cookies

I bought a tree-shaped icing tip last year but never got to use it. I only got it because it was too cute. Thus, I decided I should try out a spritz recipe this year.

Ingredients -

1 cup (227gm) butter, softened
1-1/4cup confectioner's sugar (you could cut it down to 1 cup)
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp almond extract (could be less as the almond flavour is very strong)
2-1/2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 tsp salt
Food colouring optional (I used red & green)
Coloured sugar and decorating candies, optional (I used hundreds and thousands)

Method -

1. In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and confectioner's sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg and extracts. Combine flour and salt. Gradually add to creamed mixture; mix well. Tint with food colouring if desired.

2. Using a cookie press (I used a pastry bag) fitted with the disc of your choice, press dough 2inches apart onto ungreased baking sheets. Decorate as desired.

3. Bake at 375 deg F ( I used 170 deg C) for 6-8mins (6mins was sufficient for me) or until set (do not brown). Remove to wire racks and cool.

The cookies were not too bad except that it took me a long time to complete the entire recipe as the icing tip was not big enough. But they turned out really pretty with the decor.

As per requested by Peony, here is a picture of the icing tip I have. It's pretty small thus it churns out really small cookies. Anyone knows if there is a bigger version of this? Please do let me know ya. This can be found at Phoon Huat bakery supplies store.

11 comments:

Peony said...

very cute cookies ... show the tip leh, how it looks like ah? and of cos where u get it also, hahhaha.

your plate also unique, is he santa?

HK Choo said...

Ah..two down, three more to go.

SIG said...

Peony - yes, sure I'll do that. will
update with a picture of it
soon. Got at Phoon Huat

SIG said...

Oops yes plate is Santa but collected over the years.

SIG said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
SIG said...

Yes Choo. Haha!

SIG said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Little Corner of Mine said...

So cute! And I like your very festive serving plate.

SIG said...

Thanks C!

Peony said...

thanks for posting pic of the tip. oh ya, think I'd seen it before but now that u posted it.

SIG said...

Hahah Peony, you're welcome.